makes ~7.5 waffles
|2 tbsp||ground flax seed|
|1 1/2 cups||oat milk (or nut milk)|
|1 tbsp||apple cider vinegar|
|3/4 cup||100g||all-purpose flour|
|3/4 cup||100g||whole wheat pastry flour|
|1 tbsp||baking powder|
|3 tbsp||40g||granulated sugar or coconut sugar|
|5 tbsp||vegan margarine (e.g. Earth Balance)|
|2 tsp||vanilla extract|
- Preheat your waffle iron (ours was set to level 4.5 (out of 6))
- Combine the flax seed and water in a small bowl to make a flax egg. Set aside to thicken.
- Combine the oat milk and apple cider vinegar in a measuring jug. Set aside to curdle.
- Add the flours, baking powder, salt, sugar and cinnamon to a medium bowl and mix well.
- Melt the margarine. Slowly add the melted margarine to the milk, whisking well while you pour it in. Add the flax mixture, vanilla and rum, and mix well. Add the flour mixture to the milk mixture and mix well, until only a few small lumps remain (don’t go too crazy)
- Cook the waffles according to your waffle maker’s instructions.